Reporting Bug
Adrian O'Dell
2015-10-22 06:15:10 UTC
There appears to be a bug which has Plagued me for years. Oddly I don't
have the bug in Linux Mint. Did they edit this part of the installer?

My name contains an apostrophe, which causes the Debian installer to not
create my user account. Long time ago when I tried to seek help via IRC
was told I must have done something wrong. Two days ago I confirmed
through multiple installs that the apostrophe is the culprit.

This is the only attempt I will make at filing a bug report. Anyone more
familiar with filing a bug report, it would be greatly appreciated if
you would make sure it gets filed properly so it may be resolved.
https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting is an ugly wall of text which
immediately discouraged me from wanting to file a bug report anymore.

Thanks.
Jude DaShiell
2015-10-22 07:16:05 UTC
Normally I would put a backslash character in front of that apostrophe
since it's a special character to bash at least and I suspect several
other shell envioonments. Perhaps try O\'Dell by way of an example. I
suspect mint hasn't been modified at all and that you haven't interacted
so far with the shell environment in mint which may be why you haven't
found this error in that distro yet.
Adrian O'Dell
2015-10-22 18:54:12 UTC
I'm well versed in bash. It just never occurred to me to escape the
apostrophe in the real name field since it is supposed to be a string
variable.

Mint treats my input correctly, creating my user account as it should.
Debian does not.

I'll try escaping the apostrophe one of these days, but that's hardly
the issue. The issue is the installer should sanitize user input.

Thanks for the reply. Did you by chance create a bug report for this?
Thanks.
Ondřej Grover
2015-10-22 07:18:24 UTC
Hello Adrian,

could you please be more specific about a few points?
- what installer ISO did you use
- did you use the text or graphical installer
- what was the error message or what failed or happened exactly that
stopped the installation

I wasn't able to reproduce your problem in VirtualBox using the network
installation ISO
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.2.0/i386/iso-cd/debian-8.2.0-i386-netinst.iso
and with almost all the default choices with the excpetion of these prompts
- Full name of new user: "Adrian O'Dell"
- user name: "adrian"

I understand that you may not feel like reading a large page of text if you
are in a hurry or feel you may not understand it. However, the Debian and
other open-source projects keep living thanks to individuals like you that
go the extra mile, devote some time to the cause and are willing to learn
new things. Please consider supporting Debian (and through it all other
projects based on it, including Linux Mint) through your extra effort in
filing bug reports when needed.

Kind regards,
Thanks.
Brian
2015-10-22 12:11:31 UTC
Post by Ondřej Grover
Post by Adrian O'Dell
[...]
My install was on bare metal. The outcome was identical to yours.
Post by Ondřej Grover
I understand that you may not feel like reading a large page of text if you
are in a hurry or feel you may not understand it. However, the Debian and
other open-source projects keep living thanks to individuals like you that
go the extra mile, devote some time to the cause and are willing to learn
new things. Please consider supporting Debian (and through it all other
projects based on it, including Linux Mint) through your extra effort in
filing bug reports when needed.
The second line on the page says:

We strongly recommend that you report bugs in Debian using the
reportbug program.

Making sure "it gets filed properly so it may be resolved" is not a
responsibility of some third party unfamiliar with the details,
especially if it is not reproducible for them.
Piyavkin
2015-10-22 13:15:27 UTC
Post by Ondřej Grover
[...]
I agree with the topic starter: the Debian's bug reporting process is
horrible and not userfriendly from user's viewpoint. If an organization
cares about usability and effectiveness of bug reporting process, it
shouldn't be like that.

Piyavkin
Brian
2015-10-22 14:03:54 UTC
Post by Piyavkin
Post by Ondřej Grover
[...]
If a user cares about the usability and effectiveness of the bug
reporting process, more detail to back up the complaint would be
welcome.
Piyavkin
2015-10-22 21:03:02 UTC
Post by Brian
Post by Piyavkin
Post by Ondřej Grover
[...]
.
«more details» — that's exactly a good point for a good bug reporting
system (or similar one).
But before that, in the first place, there should be: «less details».

*Problem*

The purpose of a bug reporting system is to gather from end users and
nodes all relevant information on issues with the real product behaviour
to be aware of current situation (what will you do with the information
then — is another question).
It's better if the process is completely automated (invisible for
users). If it is not, it should be as simple for user as possible, so as
many involved users as possible could complete it.

The problem with the Debian bug reporting process is that it is not so
simple for ordinary user. And if you do it first time or rarely you
should first investigate how to do it, manually (and unnecessarily)
gather bits of information from different sources to finish the quest
and just to send report. It involves a good deal of searching, reading,
studying and tweaking settings, even if it is simplest case. For
ordinary user it seems very annoying and frustrating. And even if the
user's willing to report to help developers, he/she probably gives up
and remains silent. And in result the information in the bug reporting
system reflects only the part of the real picture: only the reports from
users who were skilled or stubborn enough to break through the reporting
process (and it is skewed bit of picture too, because the machines of
the skilled users maintained better and differently than machines of
ordinary/average users).

*Example (case)*

I've got some critical issue with kernel updates which prevented me from
starting my system.
So the only options I had to work through other PC or to start from LiveCD.

First of all, what should I do to report the issue? I've searched and
found the mentioned above page https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting
with instructions.
I was even not sure if I should address my report to the list. And I
first asked here at debian-user. The participants here suggested that I
probably should report bug.

I've returned to the web-page. And had to plough through the wall of
text on the page and its links, to understand what's significant here
and what's not, and what exactly should I do. I couldn't use the
«strongly recommended» reportbug program in the situation.

And even if I could, there was no difference. Using hints from
net-search I've played with boot-up parameters and somehow managed to
start system (with some constraints). I've started the recommended
reportbug and it informed me that:

/«Please install the python-vte package to use the GTK+ (known as 'gtk2'
in reportbug) interface.
Falling back to 'text' interface.

*** Unable to initialize gtk2 interface. Falling back to text interface.»/

It is how the app works out of the box on Debian 7.9.

OK, I'm fine with text interface too. It asked me a row of common
questions, showed me some mail template in some unfamiliar editor
(without any hint what to do with the result: to save it somehow or just
to quit) and failed because (I guess) I have no properly configured mail
agent on my localhost and my provider is blocking standard SMTP ports
for some evil reasons (though it was successfully connected to the
server to provide some similarity choices from the recent bug reports).

So I had to read 'man reportbug' to start it again and to get the mail
template (with pretty common information — Debian version, kernel
version, locales, …), to place it in usual mail agent, to fill it
according instructions from the web-page mentioned before and to send it
manually via email.

It cost me a lot of time, and I just wanted to leave info about issue.
And I even don't know yet if it's worth it, if somebody has seen the
report. Because there is no request for additional information, no
«Hmm…» response, nothing.

*How it should be (in a perfect beautiful world)*

For user there should be just task of reporting issue. The task is and
should be simple.

User shouldn't do other tasks — like install and configure software
(sendmail or something), investigate about SMTP servers and ports, study
manuals for some apps and unnecessary and poorly structured
instructions, etc. — just to send a message.

User shouldn't do anything what can do robot.

As it could look in my view. Bug tracking system is a web-service with
such reporting interfaces as application (~thick client), web-page, mail.

/Web-page/

Web-page is most convenient and most reliable way to report for user. On
the mentioned above web page instead of wall of text there is placed a
huge red button «report a bug» and few links below to pages with short
descriptions of alternative ways (app, mail) and «more details» in those.

There is a standard form to fill. User is asked to fill just needed
fields, and fills only those ones that he can, bug reporting system
provides hints and examples straight in the form (or through «more
details»). Selections from drop-down list are presented whenever possible.

The process of reporting can be partitioned in steps: a) common
information (what reportbug collects from user now, plus contact
information); b) description according to template; c) system specific
technical information («run such command, copy results here»). When
every step is finished, provided data is recorded in database. Even if
the process is not fully completed and there is no sufficient
information to solve the problem, there is still information for
analysis on types of bugs, their intensity, etc. In some cases user can
be contacted through provided contact information and asked to give more
details.

/Mail/

Web-page with instructions for mail reporting also, instead of wall of
text, contains just few lines of instructions («fill the form, copy
resulted template, finish the blanks when ready, and send report on
stated address») and form (as described above).

/Application/

Bug report application in the system should be fully functional from the
box, with all necessary components installed, with all proper settings
done by default. User should know where to find it without searching in
the Internet and asking in mailing lists (in «Applications > System» or
«Applications > Standard» menues for example). And CLI version, of course.

The program fills the report which user can later elaborate and change
through the web-interface (link provided).

-

That is a large stroke vision of what most users can call user-friendly,
in my view. I'm aware that there are many technical tasks to solve and
some pretty serious work should be done to design and realize it (if any
existing solution doesn't satisfy the needs, which I doubt). But the
current Debian bug reporting system's usability looks like 20 years old.

Sorry for too bloated message.

Piyavkin
Brian
2015-10-23 11:00:06 UTC
Post by Brian
Post by Piyavkin
I agree with the topic starter: the Debian's bug reporting process is
horrible and not userfriendly from user's viewpoint. If an organization
cares about usability and effectiveness of bug reporting process, it
shouldn't be like that.
If a user cares about the usability and effectiveness of the bug
reporting process, more detail to back up the complaint would be
welcome.
[...]
[...]
This sounds suspiciously like a Bugzilla type process. The chances of
Debian going that route are vanishingly small. Also see bug #277744:

The reason for the 'wontfix' is at

Any such frontend must not be worse than reportbug at actually
gathering information and providing real contact information for the
submitter. I personally don't think one for submission will ever be as
useful as reportbug, which is why I've never worked on it myself, and
why I've marked #277744 wontfix.

The thread with msg00381 starts at

It is worth a read to get some feeling for the issues involved. As far
as I can determine the project was not completed, which might be an
indication of the complexity in realising it or a lack of consensus on
whether a web frontend for reporting bugs to the BTS is needed.

[...]
Piyavkin
2015-10-23 14:36:09 UTC
Post by Brian
Post by Brian
Post by Piyavkin
[...]
In the part of web-interface: kind of. Why not?
Post by Brian
The chances of
The reason for the 'wontfix' is at
Any such frontend must not be worse than reportbug at actually
gathering information and providing real contact information for the
submitter. I personally don't think one for submission will ever be as
useful as reportbug, which is why I've never worked on it myself, and
why I've marked #277744 wontfix.
The thread with msg00381 starts at
It is worth a read to get some feeling for the issues involved. As far
as I can determine the project was not completed, which might be an
indication of the complexity in realising it or a lack of consensus on
whether a web frontend for reporting bugs to the BTS is needed.
[...]
Thanks for the info. I've read the thread, and mentioned bugs.

March 2007… Well, I'm glad that the topic has been already rised by a
specialist in usability (~10 years ago), many good points added in
discussion by others too. I support the initiative from user's
viewpoint. I see no sound arguments against that either (just can guess
about motives).

Actually the point is wider then just web-interface. It's about
usability on the user's side. I have nothing against reportbug kind apps
as itself. And why web-interface should compete with reportbug app, I
wonder, if it already coexists with mail-channel (manually sent mail
reports) and web-page based access to the base (I suppose with some
elaborated CMS functionality).

Anyway, I see that developers are aware about the need. It is good. And
I'm hardly able to do something more on that beyond just wistfully
expressing my personal opinion.

Thanks again.

Piyavkin

Sven Arvidsson
2015-10-22 14:19:49 UTC
Post by Adrian O'Dell
There appears to be a bug which has Plagued me for years. Oddly I don't
have the bug in Linux Mint. Did they edit this part of the installer?
My name contains an apostrophe, which causes the Debian installer to not
create my user account. Long time ago when I tried to seek help via IRC
was told I must have done something wrong. Two days ago I confirmed
through multiple installs that the apostrophe is the culprit.
This is the only attempt I will make at filing a bug report. Anyone more
familiar with filing a bug report, it would be greatly appreciated if
you would make sure it gets filed properly so it may be resolved.
https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting is an ugly wall of text which
immediately discouraged me from wanting to file a bug report anymore.
You can pretty much stop right after the first sentence and just use
reportbug.

The one gotcha is that reportbug needs either a working mail server
configuration or an SMTP host. In your case you could use GMail:
https://wiki.debian.org/reportbug#Using_GMail.27s_SMTP_Server

Figuring out which package to file the bug against is another problem,
but I'm sure the list can help out there too.
--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson
PGP Key ID 6FAB5CD5
Brian
2015-10-22 17:53:00 UTC
Post by Sven Arvidsson
Post by Adrian O'Dell
[...]
Strongly recommended.
Post by Sven Arvidsson
The one gotcha is that reportbug needs either a working mail server
https://wiki.debian.org/reportbug#Using_GMail.27s_SMTP_Server
There is no need to use GMail, a mailserver on the machine or an SMTP
host. The novice operating mode of 'reportbug' has in its prompts:

Do you have a "mail transport agent" (MTA) like Exim,
Postfix or SSMTP configured on this computer to send
mail to the Internet? [y|N|q|?]? n

Please enter the name of your SMTP host. Usually it's
called something like "mail.example.org" or "smtp.example.org".
If you need to use a different port than default, use the
<host>:<port> alternative format.

Just press ENTER if you don't have one or don't know, and so
a Debian SMTP host will be used.

~/.reportbugrc will have 'smtp reportbug.debian.org' in the file if
ENTER is pressed.

Not exactly a gotcha.
Sven Arvidsson
2015-10-22 18:54:33 UTC
Post by Brian
There is no need to use GMail, a mailserver on the machine or an SMTP
Do you have a "mail transport agent" (MTA) like Exim,
Postfix or SSMTP configured on this computer to send
mail to the Internet? [y|N|q|?]? n
Please enter the name of your SMTP host. Usually it's
called something like "mail.example.org" or "smtp.example.org".
If you need to use a different port than default, use the
<host>:<port> alternative format.
Just press ENTER if you don't have one or don't know, and so
a Debian SMTP host will be used.
~/.reportbugrc will have 'smtp reportbug.debian.org' in the file if
ENTER is pressed.
Not exactly a gotcha.
Wow, did not know that, very handy!
--