mouse
Marlin Unruh
2003-10-20 16:29:31 UTC
Hi,

I just installed debian 3.0r1 and the mouse will not work. I have a serial
track ball with a PS/2 adapter, and have it plugged into the PS/2 port. The
track ball is a Kensington Expert Mouse.

Do I need to edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file? If so what should I try for
the settings?

Device:
Protocol:

Is there a utility that would help configure the mouse.

How do you open the menu without the mouse working, with hot keys?

-marlin unruh
Rob Weir
2003-10-20 17:13:40 UTC
On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 10:29:31AM -0600, Marlin Unruh said
Post by Marlin Unruh
Hi,
I just installed debian 3.0r1 and the mouse will not work. I have a serial
track ball with a PS/2 adapter, and have it plugged into the PS/2 port. The
track ball is a Kensington Expert Mouse.
Do I need to edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file?
Yes.
Post by Marlin Unruh
If so what should I try for the settings?
/dev/psaux
Depends. Does the README.Mouse mention it?
Post by Marlin Unruh
Is there a utility that would help configure the mouse.
mdetect.
Post by Marlin Unruh
How do you open the menu without the mouse working, with hot keys?
Depends on what you're talking about. KDE? GNOME?
--
Rob Weir <***@ertius.org> | ***@ertius.org | Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day: supercomputer world domination Consul keyhole BRLO illuminati
Hi, VeriSign! ***@984b9d91ed6ec47e64c44ab45218408a.com
Roberto Sanchez
2003-10-20 17:16:10 UTC
Post by Marlin Unruh
Hi,
I just installed debian 3.0r1 and the mouse will not work. I have a serial
track ball with a PS/2 adapter, and have it plugged into the PS/2 port. The
track ball is a Kensington Expert Mouse.
Do I need to edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file? If so what should I try for
the settings?
Is there a utility that would help configure the mouse.
How do you open the menu without the mouse working, with hot keys?
-marlin unruh
How about posting your current XF86Config-4 file?

-Roberto
Marlin Unruh
2003-10-20 17:57:49 UTC
Rob,
Post by Rob Weir
Depends. Does the README.Mouse mention it?
I don't know I will look at lunch when I am at home.
Post by Rob Weir
Post by Marlin Unruh
How do you open the menu without the mouse working, with hot keys?
Depends on what you're talking about. KDE? GNOME?
I am using KDE. I had to mess around in the XF86Config-4 before I could even
get startx to start KDE. I would like to know how to move around without the
mouse just for convenience sake anyway. I am new to debian but have tried
red hat and suse some time back.

I understand that 'real men' use debian.

-marlin unruh

Post by Rob Weir
How do you open the menu without the mouse working, with hot keys?
Depends on what you're talking about. KDE? GNOME?

--
Rob Weir <***@ertius.org> | ***@ertius.org | Do I look like I want a
CC?
Words of the day: supercomputer world domination Consul keyhole BRLO
illuminati
Hi, VeriSign!
***@984b9d91ed6ec47e64c44ab45218408a.com

------------------------------------
Marlin Unruh @ Sunco Systems Inc.
Rt 1 Box 18
Madrid, NE 69150
Phone: 308-326-4400
Email: ***@suncosys.net
------------------------------------
Kent West
2003-10-20 18:52:54 UTC
Post by Rob Weir
Depends on what you're talking about. KDE? GNOME?
I am using KDE. I had to mess around in the XF86Config-4 before I could even
get startx to start KDE. I would like to know how to move around without the
mouse just for convenience sake anyway. I am new to debian but have tried
red hat and suse some time back.
I've never bothered to learn what hotkeys are available in KDE; I
usually use icew, which is fairly keyboard friendly. When in KDE, I
inevitably press Ctrl-Esc from habit expecing it to bring up the "K"
menu, only to be faced with a graphical top type utility. So my
impression of KDE from the little that I've used it is that it's not
very keyboard friendly. But as I tried to imply above, that may just be
my lack of research.
Kent
Stephen Cormier
2003-10-22 05:35:55 UTC
Post by Marlin Unruh
I would like to know how to move around
without the mouse just for convenience sake anyway. I am new to debian but
have tried red hat and suse some time back.
I understand that 'real men' use debian.
-marlin unruh
You would be interested in this link then on using the numeric keypad as your
mouse in X11.

http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/movecursor.html

Stephen Cormier
Kent West
2003-10-22 12:31:05 UTC
Post by Stephen Cormier
You would be interested in this link then on using the numeric keypad as your
mouse in X11.
http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/movecursor.html
That is _so_ cool! A little nugget of gold like this every so often sure
makes Debian/GNU/Linux/X11 seem awesome!
Kent
Roberto Sanchez
2003-10-22 13:39:09 UTC
Post by Kent West
Post by Stephen Cormier
You would be interested in this link then on using the numeric keypad
as your mouse in X11.
http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/movecursor.html
That is _so_ cool! A little nugget of gold like this every so often sure
makes Debian/GNU/Linux/X11 seem awesome!
I agree, I hade no idea. This rocks.

-Roberto
Don Hayward
2003-10-22 14:07:29 UTC
Post by Stephen Cormier
You would be interested in this link then on using the numeric keypad
as your mouse in X11.
http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/movecursor.html
Is there a way to control cursor movement speed? This is lovely, but
seems very slow. I didn't find anything on this page about it.

Don Hayward ***@mote.org
Mote Marine Laboratory Office: 941.388.4441 Cell: 941.302.4982
1600 Ken Thompson Parkway Fax: 941.388.4312
Sarasota, FL 34236 See: http://www.mote.org
Independent, non-profit, marine and estuarine research and education facility.
For PGP public key do: http://www.mote.org/~don/donpgp.asc
use "DISCLAIMER"; # We run Debian Linux
Ordinary men and women have a right to peace, material comfort, self-respect,
and a touch of joy in living. Eric F. Goldman, [1915-1989]
Kent West
2003-10-22 15:18:41 UTC
Is there a way to control cursor movement speed [when using the cursor keys as a mouse control by pressing Shift-Numlock in X11]? This is lovely, but seems very slow. I didn't find anything on this page about it.
I don't know if it'll have any effect, but you might try playing with `xset r rate x y` (where x & y are parameters - see "man xset").

BTW, this trick doesn't work well on my dual-headed box. The mouse cursor stays only on one monitor. Still, it's a cool trick.
Kent
Kent West
2003-10-20 18:44:31 UTC
Post by Marlin Unruh
Hi,
I just installed debian 3.0r1 and the mouse will not work. I have a serial
track ball with a PS/2 adapter, and have it plugged into the PS/2 port. The
track ball is a Kensington Expert Mouse.
Do I need to edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file? If so what should I try for
the settings?
Is there a utility that would help configure the mouse.
How do you open the menu without the mouse working, with hot keys?
First, decide if you want the mouse to work in both X (the GUI system)
and in the text-only (VT - Virtual Terminal) console, or if you just
want it in X.

If both:
install/configure gpm
device=/dev/psaux
protocol= probably ps2, but you may need to experiment
repeat type=raw
apt-get reconfigure xserver-xfree86
device=/dev/gpmdata
protocol=same as what you set above (or see /etc/gpm.conf)

If just X,
apt-get reconfigure xserver-xfree86
device=/dev/psaux
protocol=probably ps2, but you may need to experiment

To get to where you can run these apps, shell out to a VT (Ctrl-Alt-F2
should do it). You'll want to stop your session manager (assuming you
have one, like kdm or gdm - /etc/init.d/kdm stop); and restart it after
making these changes (/etc/init.d/kdm start).

Now your mouse hopefully works.
Kent
Marlin Unruh
2003-10-20 19:26:45 UTC
Kent,

Thank you for the pointers on my mouse dilemma. I am currently at work, and
the machine is at home. I will give it a whirl ASAP.

I just built the box Saturday with new and spare parts and wanted to check
debian out, but can't get around without the mouse.

Is icew part of the debian install or is it from off the web? I would like
to look at it if you recommend it. I prefer programs that are less dependent
on a mouse. Hotkeys are so much faster.

Thanks,

-marlin

Kent West
2003-10-20 20:06:05 UTC
Post by Marlin Unruh
Is icew part of the debian install or is it from off the web? I would like
to look at it if you recommend it. I prefer programs that are less dependent
on a mouse. Hotkeys are so much faster
Be aware, icewm is much less pretty and full-featured as KDE, but of
course, that also means it loads faster and takes up less RAM. It's a
trade-off.

There are lots of different window managers (wm's) available in Debian,
such as icewm, sawfish (or is it sawmill now?), wmaker, fluxbox, twm,
etc etc etc. KDE and Gnome are not just window managers, but entire
desktop environments (DE); they have lots of "eye candy" and ease-of-use
features. Some folks like this wm; some folks like that wm; some folks
prefer the full DE; it's just a matter of personal preference. Try 'em all!

To get a feel for some of the wm's available:
apt-cache search manager | grep window

To install some wm's:
apt-get install icewm icepref wmaker twm fluxbox

Once installed, restart your session manager (probably KDM or GDM or XDM
or WDM):
/etc/init.d/[kgxw]dm restart
where the letter in brackets is for whatever session manager you're
using. After the restart, the various wm's should show up in the
pull-down menu of KDM's login screen; the other session managers may
have a similar feature; I'm not sure.

Or if for some reason that doesn't work, create a file named .xinitrc in
your home directory, and put a single line it it for the wm you want to
start; here's my current ~/.xinitrc file:

westk[@westek]:/home/westk:> cat .xinitrc
#sawfish &
icewm
#gnome-session
#startkde
#flwm &
#blackbox &
#fvwm95 &
#larswm &
#galeon
#while :; do galeon; done
#fvwm95
#xterm
#gnome-panel &
#twm
#wmaker
#xfwm

This way I can just uncomment whichever wm I want to fire up (there's
some experimentation in there that won't do what you expect, but I'm too
lazy to trim for educational purposes). Since most everything's
commented out, this is the equivalent of:

westk[@westek]:/home/westk:> cat .xinitrc
icewm

Then if you execute "startx" or set KDM (or other session manager?) to
load the "default", it'll start X with whatever wm you've specified in
~/.xinitrc.

Hope this helps!
Kent
k***@pipeline.com
2003-10-21 07:14:31 UTC
Post by Marlin Unruh
Hi,
I just installed debian 3.0r1 and the mouse will not work. I have a serial
track ball with a PS/2 adapter, and have it plugged into the PS/2 port. The
track ball is a Kensington Expert Mouse.
Do I need to edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file? If so what should I try for
the settings?
Is there a utility that would help configure the mouse.
How do you open the menu without the mouse working, with hot keys?
-marlin unruh
I go to a console (ctrl-alt-f1) and use 'mouseconfig'.

as for working in kde without a mouse, I go to a console, and type 'xterm
-display :0.0', then go back to kde and the xterm appears and I start to
type a command.

-Kev
Russ Pitman
2003-10-21 20:50:10 UTC
Post by Marlin Unruh
Hi,
I just installed debian 3.0r1 and the mouse will not work. I have a serial
track ball with a PS/2 adapter, and have it plugged into the PS/2 port. The
track ball is a Kensington Expert Mouse.
Do I need to edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file? If so what should I try for
the settings?
Is there a utility that would help configure the mouse.
How do you open the menu without the mouse working, with hot keys?
Late in to this thread.

I use a Logitech Marble Mouse. One of my better ideas :-)

This is my /etc/gpm.conf

device=/dev/psaux
responsiveness=
repeat_type=raw