How to install DHCP
Paul Huygen
2002-06-03 15:53:25 UTC
Hello,

I am a bit reluctant to ask this seemingly simple question, but I
could not find the answer in the docs:

I have a computer that was connected to the Internet over ethernet with
a fixed IP address. Recently the network manager requested to change
to DHCP, and I cannot find out how I have to do that. So, can anybody
help me to tell me how to do that?

One method would be to re-install Debian from scratch and let the install
program perform the task, but that seems overkill to me.

The Ethernet Howto does not mention DHCP at all

The "Linux Networking Howto" suggests to use a program "Linuxconfig" for
this task, but I could not find a Debian Linuxconfig package.

The "Linux networking overview Howto" refers to a "DHCP mini HOWTO",
and the latter suggest Debian users to install a deb package called
"dhcpcd". However, this package is not available in testing.

There is a package DHCP, and the man page associated with this
package explains how you can invoke a program called dhcp to obtain
an IP lease, but not how Linux can be made to invoke this program
during bootup and associate the obtained IP number with the eth0
interface. Installing the DHCP package with APT-get does not configure
DHCP.

The "Unix and Internet Fundamentals Howto" does not mention DHCP.

Thanks,

Paul Huygen
Patrick Wiseman
2002-06-03 16:35:35 UTC
Post by Paul Huygen
I have a computer that was connected to the Internet over ethernet with
a fixed IP address. Recently the network manager requested to change
to DHCP, and I cannot find out how I have to do that. So, can anybody
help me to tell me how to do that?
Try 'man ifup' - that should get you started in the right direction, I
think.

Patrick
--
Patrick Wiseman
***@mindspring.com
Keith Winston
2002-06-03 16:38:15 UTC
Post by Paul Huygen
I have a computer that was connected to the Internet over ethernet with
a fixed IP address. Recently the network manager requested to change
to DHCP, and I cannot find out how I have to do that. So, can anybody
help me to tell me how to do that?
The "Linux networking overview Howto" refers to a "DHCP mini HOWTO",
and the latter suggest Debian users to install a deb package called
"dhcpcd". However, this package is not available in testing.
[snip]

Yes, dhcpcd is the program you want. There are at least two popular
DHCP clients, dhcpcd and pump. I've used both and both have worked
well for me. You should be able to install the dhcpcd package from
stable.

I am new to Debian, so I can't tell you which files/scripts you need to
modify. My woody CDs won't arrive until later this week :)

Best Regards,
Keith
--
LPIC-2, MCSE, N+
Got spam? Get spastic http://spastic.sourceforge.net
Roach, Mark R.
2002-06-03 16:44:44 UTC
Post by Keith Winston
Post by Paul Huygen
I have a computer that was connected to the Internet over ethernet with
a fixed IP address. Recently the network manager requested to change
to DHCP, and I cannot find out how I have to do that. So, can anybody
help me to tell me how to do that?
The "Linux networking overview Howto" refers to a "DHCP mini HOWTO",
and the latter suggest Debian users to install a deb package called
"dhcpcd". However, this package is not available in testing.
[snip]
Yes, dhcpcd is the program you want. There are at least two popular
DHCP clients, dhcpcd and pump. I've used both and both have worked
well for me. You should be able to install the dhcpcd package from
stable.
I am new to Debian, so I can't tell you which files/scripts you need to
modify. My woody CDs won't arrive until later this week :)
Easy way to do it is to put in your /etc/network/interfaces a couple of
lines like

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

then run /etc/init.d/networking restart

"man interfaces" will give you all the pertinent info on this file, too

-Mark
Colin Watson
2002-06-03 16:43:21 UTC
Post by Paul Huygen
I am a bit reluctant to ask this seemingly simple question, but I
I have a computer that was connected to the Internet over ethernet with
a fixed IP address. Recently the network manager requested to change
to DHCP, and I cannot find out how I have to do that. So, can anybody
help me to tell me how to do that?
/etc/network/interfaces makes it pretty easy. With dhcp-client
installed, make sure that /etc/network/interfaces contains the following
two lines:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

'ifup eth0' and 'ifdown eth0' will then bring the interface up and down
respectively, and the interface will be brought up at boot-time.

Cheers,
--
Colin Watson [***@flatline.org.uk]
Amal Phadke
2002-06-03 16:56:35 UTC
Post by Paul Huygen
[...]
Do the following:

1. Recompile kernel with DHCP support. It's possible that DHCP support
may already exist in your running kernel.

2. In /etc/network/interfaces make sure that you have the following
two lines.

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

3. Install package pump

4. Reboot your computer

Your Linux box now should be able to obtain network information via DHCP.
issue /sbin/ifconfig -v to see if eth0 is okay. That's it!
--
Amal Phadke, PhD
email: phadke at hydrodyn dot org