Custom Kernel Won't Boot
Jon Roed
2005-09-13 02:16:46 UTC
I have just compiled a new kernel (2.6.13) and i cannot get it too boot. When
i select my new kernel from the boot loader i get the following error:

VFS: Cannot open root device "301" or unknown block (3,1)
Please append a correct "root= " boot option
kernel panic: not syncing : VFS cannot open root device

i am wondering what to add as a boot option (i am running LILO) i tried
Alejandro Bonilla Beeche
2005-09-13 02:17:15 UTC
Post by Jon Roed
I have just compiled a new kernel (2.6.13) and i cannot get it too boot. When
VFS: Cannot open root device "301" or unknown block (3,1)
Please append a correct "root= " boot option
kernel panic: not syncing : VFS cannot open root device
i am wondering what to add as a boot option (i am running LILO) i tried
Hi, Send us your ,config and let us know what hardware you have.

.Alejandro
Bob Proulx
2005-09-13 06:03:30 UTC
Post by Jon Roed
I have just compiled a new kernel (2.6.13) and i cannot get it too boot. When
VFS: Cannot open root device "301" or unknown block (3,1)
Please append a correct "root= " boot option
kernel panic: not syncing : VFS cannot open root device
i am wondering what to add as a boot option (i am running LILO) i tried
Did you compile your kernel using make-kpkg? Using --initrd or
without? Does the /etc/lilo.conf file match your initrd? That is,
if you build an initrd did you specify it in yoiur /etc/lilo.conf
file? I am guessing not as that would match the symptoms so far.

Bob
Jon Roed
2005-09-13 17:26:16 UTC
Post by Bob Proulx
Did you compile your kernel using make-kpkg? Using --initrd or
without? Does the /etc/lilo.conf file match your initrd? That is,
if you build an initrd did you specify it in yoiur /etc/lilo.conf
file? I am guessing not as that would match the symptoms so far.
Bob
I compiled my kernel using make-kpkg but i didn't use the --initrd option.
Should i have ?
Alvin Oga
2005-09-13 17:40:06 UTC
Post by Jon Roed
Post by Bob Proulx
Did you compile your kernel using make-kpkg? Using --initrd or
without? Does the /etc/lilo.conf file match your initrd? That is,
if you build an initrd did you specify it in yoiur /etc/lilo.conf
file? I am guessing not as that would match the symptoms so far.
Bob
I compiled my kernel using make-kpkg but i didn't use the --initrd option.
Should i have ?
no .. not really ..

- when you build a kernel:

- why ??

- where did you get the kernel source code from

- where did you get the *.h ( headers ) for your current
kernel you are using in order to build the new kernel

- do you know the chipset used in your hardware ?

- the 4 important questions:

which svga chipset
which nic chipset
which sound chipset
which dma chipset

( see the output of lspci .

- i assume you know exactly what cpu you have
and all the cpu flags it uses

- make xconfig and start clicking away ..

- if you donno what that option is for .. turn it off
- most of the defaults in the kernel source
from kernel.org is wrong ( left on for the wrong reasons )
- tons of kitchen sink stuff you dont need
in your otutdoor tent ( your own hw )

- you're allotted 10 minutes to click things on and off to
define your kernel ... and you're done after that making
your custom kernel, install /vmlinuz and running lilo is 30 seconds

- if you build all the chipset drivers into the kernel:
- you do NOT need an initrd
- you have built your own kernel if it boots and works

- see the kernel-howto for all the itty bitty details

- and if you wanna start to play ..
- harden your kernel with the gazillion kernel security patches

c ya
alvin
L.V.Gandhi
2005-09-14 06:02:29 UTC
Post by Alvin Oga
- why ??
- where did you get the kernel source code from
I got the source from stable(sarge)repository which says 2.6.8. But my sarge
default kernel is 2.6.8-2-386.

- where did you get the *.h ( headers ) for your current

from cds.

kernel you are using in order to build the new kernel

2.6.8-2-386

- do you know the chipset used in your hardware ?
Post by Alvin Oga
which svga chipset
which nic chipset
which sound chipset
which dma chipset
How to find out svga, dma chipset

( see the output of lspci .
Post by Alvin Oga
- i assume you know exactly what cpu you have
pentium m 1.4 ghz

and all the cpu flags it uses

How to know?
Should I use any patch to the source installed so that 2.6.8 becomes
2.6.8-2-386?

from kernel.org <http://kernel.org> is wrong ( left on for the wrong
reasons )
- tons of kitchen sink stuff you dont need
in your otutdoor tent ( your own hw )
- you're allotted 10 minutes to click things on and off to
define your kernel ... and you're done after that making
your custom kernel, install /vmlinuz and running lilo is 30 seconds
- you do NOT need an initrd
- you have built your own kernel if it boots and works
- see the kernel-howto for all the itty bitty details
- and if you wanna start to play ..
- harden your kernel with the gazillion kernel security patches
Kindly let me know further how to proceed in debian for compiling kernel?
--
L.V.Gandhi
http://lvgandhi.tripod.com/
linux user No.205042
Nelson Castillo
2005-09-14 06:27:53 UTC
Post by L.V.Gandhi
I got the source from stable(sarge)repository
which says 2.6.8. But my sarge default kernel
is 2.6.8-2-386.--
Hi.

I think you should use --initrd unless you
make sure you have all you need to boot
built in (and not as a module).
Post by L.V.Gandhi
How to find out svga, dma chipset
"lspci -v" and/or "lspci -vv"
Post by L.V.Gandhi
Post by Alvin Oga
and all the cpu flags it uses
How to know?
cat /proc/cpuinfo
Post by L.V.Gandhi
Should I use any patch to the source installed
so that 2.6.8 becomes 2.6.8-2-386?
No. It depends on your architecture.
Post by L.V.Gandhi
From what I can tell, you could try to get
started using the debian example
named /boot/config... (complete). Or grab the
.config of a newer kernel (taken from the debian
archive).

Regards,
Nelson.-
--
Homepage : http://geocities.com/arhuaco

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself
and you are the easiest person to fool.
-- Richard Feynman.
L.V.Gandhi
2005-09-14 07:21:56 UTC
Post by Nelson Castillo
Post by L.V.Gandhi
How to find out svga, dma chipset
"lspci -v" and/or "lspci -vv"
I couldn't make out anything from the output for svga or dma. It will be
nice if you can be more explicit.
Post by Nelson Castillo
Post by L.V.Gandhi
and all the cpu flags it uses
How to know?
cat /proc/cpuinfo
mine is
lvgdell600m:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 9
model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1400MHz
stepping : 5
cpu MHz : 1398.972
cache size : 1024 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush dts
acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 tm pbe tm2 est
bogomips : 2777.08
what are significance of various lines and how it helps in compiling a
kernel
Post by L.V.Gandhi
so that 2.6.8 becomes 2.6.8-2-386?
No. It depends on your architecture.
From what I can tell, you could try to get
linux user No.205042
Aurélien Campéas
2005-09-14 11:44:04 UTC
Post by Jon Roed
I have just compiled a new kernel (2.6.13) and i cannot get it too boot. When
VFS: Cannot open root device "301" or unknown block (3,1)
Please append a correct "root= " boot option
kernel panic: not syncing : VFS cannot open root device
i am wondering what to add as a boot option (i am running LILO) i tried
make sure you have compiled your disk controller and filesystem drivers
in-kernel (not as modules)
Alvin Oga
2005-09-14 12:14:03 UTC
Post by Jon Roed
VFS: Cannot open root device "301" or unknown block (3,1)
Please append a correct "root=3D " boot option
kernel panic: not syncing : VFS cannot open root device
=20
i am wondering what to add as a boot option (i am running LILO) i tried=
=20

nothing you can do at lilo/grub/...
=20
make sure you have compiled your disk controller and filesystem drivers=
=20
in-kernel (not as modules)
if you do make(use) ide and fs modules ( for whatever odd reason )
=09- you need to make a custom initrd.gz file
=09- you'd need to edit /linuxrc inside that initrd.gz file to
=09load those ide and fs drivers

more booting fun
=09Linux-Boot.net/Loaders

c ya
alvin
Aurélien Campéas
2005-09-14 12:52:41 UTC
Post by Alvin Oga
Post by Aurélien Campéas
make sure you have compiled your disk controller and filesystem drivers
in-kernel (not as modules)
if you do make(use) ide and fs modules ( for whatever odd reason )
- you need to make a custom initrd.gz file
a "mkinitrd for the dummies", riddled with examples, would be neat

but for a costom kernel without initrd, also don't forget to disable
initrd support (in the kernel) (it sits near the RAM fs section)
Post by Alvin Oga
- you'd need to edit /linuxrc inside that initrd.gz file to
load those ide and fs drivers
more booting fun
Linux-Boot.net/Loaders
c ya
alvin
Alvin Oga
2005-09-14 13:15:34 UTC
Post by Aurélien Campéas
a "mkinitrd for the dummies", riddled with examples, would be neat
=20
but for a costom kernel without initrd, also don't forget to disable=20
initrd support (in the kernel) (it sits near the RAM fs section)
do you man disable or enable initrd support??
=09- at least its black-n-white, in that we supposedly
=09know what to do with that option

but what about other options like, ramdisk support too which is
NOT the same as initrd support

or do you only want to use loop devices ?? and why use loop devices, etc
=2E.

gazillion examples ...

=09- in each distro .. there typically is an initrd.gz or similarly
=09named files somewhere on their boot media

=09=09http://Linux-Boot.net/InitRD/Viewing/

=09to break those initrd.gz so you can peek isnide would depend on how=20
=09they built it ... and sometimes its compressed and sometimes not
=09even if its named to imply one way or the other
=09=09( *.img vs *.gz vs *.foo )

=09- some use minix + cramfs ... which your system would need
=09to support for you to peek in

for making your own ...=20

=09look at the contents of other distro's initrd, since we all
=09know the distro's CAN install into most any hardware

=09after reading/studyng their stuff, you can make your own with:
=09=09http://Linux-Boot.net/InitRD
=09=09- ramdisk
=09=09- loop devices

=09ramdisk is limited in size by the kernel option at kernel compile
=09time ...

=09=09dd if=3D/dev/zero of=3D/dev/ram0 bs=3Danything count=3Dbig=20
=09=09will NOT work

=09loopdevices can be any size

c ya
alvin
Jon Roed
2005-09-14 14:47:17 UTC
I can't find a driver for my chipset in the kernel options. I have an AMD
Athlon 64 2800+. The chipset according to the manual that came with the
motherboard is a SiS746 Northbridge and SiS963 Southbridge. I can't find an
option for either of those. Also, which IDE drivers should i make sure are
installed ?
Aurélien Campéas
2005-09-14 15:10:19 UTC
Post by Jon Roed
I can't find a driver for my chipset in the kernel options. I have an AMD
Athlon 64 2800+. The chipset according to the manual that came with the
motherboard is a SiS746 Northbridge and SiS963 Southbridge. I can't find an
option for either of those. Also, which IDE drivers should i make sure are
installed ?
even is the doc doesn't talk bout it, try the Sis driver
antgel
Do you need to compile a kernel?
Jon Roed
2005-09-20 00:51:33 UTC
Post by antgel
Post by Jon Roed
I can't find a driver for my chipset in the kernel options. I have an
AMD Athlon 64 2800+. The chipset according to the manual that came with
the motherboard is a SiS746 Northbridge and SiS963 Southbridge. I can't
find an option for either of those. Also, which IDE drivers should i
make sure are installed ?
Do you need to compile a kernel?
I am trying to compile my own kernel because when i try to upgrade to one of
the precompiled ones from apt-get i get the same errors, so i assume i have
to tweak the settings to fit my machine

Alvin Oga
2005-09-14 15:20:23 UTC
hi ya
Post by Jon Roed
I can't find a driver for my chipset in the kernel options.
the chipset you care about is the output of "lspci"

- you'd want to make sure you can find all the drivers
for each of the hardware controllers listed in the output of
lspci

- if the kernel does not have a driver for "ChipMaker-1234 v5"
than you should use 2.4.31 and/or 2.6.12.x instead
and if not, pick the one that closer to it or a generic driver
that is supposed to be vendor nuetral

burn the marketing info that came with the motherboard as its basically
useless ( not detailed enough or accurate )

c ya
alvin
installed ?
Aurélien Campéas
2005-09-14 15:16:30 UTC
Post by Alvin Oga
Post by Aurélien Campéas
a "mkinitrd for the dummies", riddled with examples, would be neat
but for a costom kernel without initrd, also don't forget to disable
initrd support (in the kernel) (it sits near the RAM fs section)
do you man disable or enable initrd support??
- at least its black-n-white, in that we supposedly
know what to do with that option
disable it
Post by Alvin Oga
but what about other options like, ramdisk support too which is
NOT the same as initrd support
true, you can keep ramdisk support if you have some use for it
Post by Alvin Oga
or do you only want to use loop devices ??
true
Post by Alvin Oga
and why use loop devices, etc
cause they are useful to me ?
Post by Alvin Oga
..
gazillion examples ...
- in each distro .. there typically is an initrd.gz or similarly
named files somewhere on their boot media
http://Linux-Boot.net/InitRD/Viewing/
to break those initrd.gz so you can peek isnide would depend on how
they built it ... and sometimes its compressed and sometimes not
even if its named to imply one way or the other
( *.img vs *.gz vs *.foo )
- some use minix + cramfs ... which your system would need
to support for you to peek in
thanks I already knew that
not exactly a "for the dummies" (or "lazy dogs") approach
Post by Alvin Oga
for making your own ...
look at the contents of other distro's initrd, since we all
know the distro's CAN install into most any hardware
http://Linux-Boot.net/InitRD
- ramdisk
- loop devices
ramdisk is limited in size by the kernel option at kernel compile
time ...
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ram0 bs=anything count=big
will NOT work
loopdevices can be any size
I'll have a look into that some time in the future ...

I've learnt not to rely on debian initrd-ed kernels because for some
reason, on my personnal machine, the net driver failed to work if not
loaded in-kernel. Initrd is fine for distribution kernels, but on a
personnal level, it can help to know how to get rid of it.

Cheers,
Aurélien.