convert netscape/win32 Email to debian mail client ???
Michael D. Schleif
2002-05-26 21:24:43 UTC
I have avoided this long enough!

I just built a new system -- woody -- and have kde and konqueror working
very well, thank you ;>

Now, I need to wean myself from the last vestiges of m$oft.

However, I have ~2 GB of netscape Email on this nt4 box, without which I
do not want to live . . .

What are my options?
--
Best Regards,

mds
mds resource
888.250.3987

Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know. The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .
Jamin W. Collins
2002-05-26 21:34:48 UTC
On Sun, 26 May 2002 16:24:43 -0500
Post by Michael D. Schleif
However, I have ~2 GB of netscape Email on this nt4 box, without which I
do not want to live . . .
AFAIK, the file format for the Win32 and *nix versions of Netscape are
compatible. So you should be able to move the file over to the woody box
(many options to choose from here) and use either Netscape 4.x or Mozilla
to read them.
--
Jamin W. Collins
Paul Scott
2002-05-26 22:38:27 UTC
Post by Michael D. Schleif
However, I have ~2 GB of netscape Email on this nt4 box, without which I
do not want to live . . .
AFAIK, the file format for the Win32 and *nix versions of Netscape are
compatible. So you should be able to move the file over to the woody box
(many options to choose from here) and use either Netscape 4.x or Mozilla
to read them.
They can be read with a lot of email software. They are pretty ordinary
email files.

Paul Scott
Michael D. Schleif
2002-05-26 22:54:01 UTC
Post by Michael D. Schleif
However, I have ~2 GB of netscape Email on this nt4 box, without which I
do not want to live . . .
AFAIK, the file format for the Win32 and *nix versions of Netscape are
compatible. So you should be able to move the file over to the woody box
(many options to choose from here) and use either Netscape 4.x or Mozilla
to read them.
Care to elaborate?

I can copy/move these Email files quite readily; but, how to read them
with else?

Of course, even if it is that simple, I am still left with the decision
regarding what program[s] is/are the best long term solution for
managing a large mass of Emails.

What do you think?

Jamin W. Collins
2002-05-26 23:17:42 UTC
On Sun, 26 May 2002 17:54:01 -0500
Post by Michael D. Schleif
Post by Jamin W. Collins
AFAIK, the file format for the Win32 and *nix versions of Netscape
are compatible. So you should be able to move the file over to the
woody box(many options to choose from here) and use either Netscape
4.x or Mozilla to read them.
Care to elaborate?
Well, it really depends on what configuration you have there. You could
network the two machines and then FTP the files across, use SAMBA to move
them, etc. Or, you could pull the drive from the NT machine and
temporarily put it in the Debian system and move the files. There are
many, many, many ways to skin this cat.
Post by Michael D. Schleif
I can copy/move these Email files quite readily; but, how to read them
with else?
Of course, even if it is that simple, I am still left with the decision
regarding what program[s] is/are the best long term solution for
managing a large mass of Emails.
This is an age old question in the Linux world from what I've found. A
mail client tends to be a very personal thing. Ask 50 Linux users which
mail client they like and why and you'll probably get about 20+ different
answers. Perhaps if you can elaborate on what your mail client
requirements are, maybe some suggestions can be made.
--
Jamin W. Collins
Michael D. Schleif
2002-05-26 23:49:50 UTC
Post by Michael D. Schleif
I can copy/move these Email files quite readily; but, how to read them
with else?
Of course, even if it is that simple, I am still left with the decision
regarding what program[s] is/are the best long term solution for
managing a large mass of Emails.
This is an age old question in the Linux world from what I've found. A
mail client tends to be a very personal thing. Ask 50 Linux users which
mail client they like and why and you'll probably get about 20+ different
answers. Perhaps if you can elaborate on what your mail client
requirements are, maybe some suggestions can be made.
Perhaps, if Email can be kept in a real database, then the client issues
become more a matter of taste, as you posit.

Right now, I'd like to have my next move satisfy me for a couple more
years, at least. Basically, I'm a cli guy; but, x has gotten a lot
prettier, &c.

Are there Email clients with database hooks? mysql? postgres?

What do you think?

Colin Watson
2002-05-27 00:33:33 UTC
Post by Michael D. Schleif
Perhaps, if Email can be kept in a real database, then the client issues
become more a matter of taste, as you posit.
Right now, I'd like to have my next move satisfy me for a couple more
years, at least. Basically, I'm a cli guy; but, x has gotten a lot
prettier, &c.
Are there Email clients with database hooks? mysql? postgres?
Using a database is a good way to practically guarantee that at most one
mail client will ever be able to read it, I think. :)

Try one of the age-old standard formats instead. Berkeley mbox is dead
simple and supported by practically everything, although it has a few
problems (see another thread). There's also mh format and maildir. A
quick Google search or checking the documentation for various mail
clients should give you more information.
--
Colin Watson [***@flatline.org.uk]
Paul Johnson
2002-05-27 05:52:52 UTC
Post by Colin Watson
Try one of the age-old standard formats instead. Berkeley mbox is dead
simple and supported by practically everything, although it has a few
problems (see another thread).
I think it's supported by *everything*. Even OE on Windows uses it,
except they had the brain damaged idea to call it "Microsoft DBX
format." OE will mangle an mbox larger than 5MB on a disturbingly
regular basis from my experiance as a bob...
Baloo
Paul Scott
2002-05-26 23:37:34 UTC
Post by Michael D. Schleif
However, I have ~2 GB of netscape Email on this nt4 box, without which I
do not want to live . . .
AFAIK, the file format for the Win32 and *nix versions of Netscape are
compatible. So you should be able to move the file over to the woody box
(many options to choose from here) and use either Netscape 4.x or Mozilla
to read them.
Care to elaborate?
I can copy/move these Email files quite readily; but, how to read them
with else?
As a trivial start:

mail -f <path-to-email-file>

will read a mail file like this just fine.
Post by Michael D. Schleif
Of course, even if it is that simple, I am still left with the decision
regarding what program[s] is/are the best long term solution for
managing a large mass of Emails.
What do you think?
See other answer(s) for this. I use Mozilla (0.9.9) for all of my
email. I move files like this (20 or 30MB, not 2GB yet) around and edit
them with a test editor all the time. If this is one big 2GB file I
might use Netscape on the NT box to organize them into folders first

Paul
martin f krafft
2002-05-26 21:56:38 UTC
Post by Michael D. Schleif
What are my options?
install an imap server. move them out of netscape via imap.
download to debian via fetchmail from imap.
--
martin; (greetings from the heart of the sun.)
\____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" ***@madduck

raising pet electric eels is gaining a lot of current popularity.
Michael D. Schleif
2002-05-26 22:30:08 UTC
Post by martin f krafft
Post by Michael D. Schleif
What are my options?
install an imap server. move them out of netscape via imap.
download to debian via fetchmail from imap.
Sounds simple -- any ideas how to implement this?

Can I install uw-imapd on the woody and get the mail off of the nt4 box?

Obviously, I am ignorant in these matters; so, all implementation
pointers are appreciated . . .

Michael D. Schleif
2002-05-26 22:31:28 UTC
Post by Michael D. Schleif
I have avoided this long enough!
I just built a new system -- woody -- and have kde and konqueror working
very well, thank you ;>
Now, I need to wean myself from the last vestiges of m$oft.
However, I have ~2 GB of netscape Email on this nt4 box, without which I
do not want to live . . .
What are my options?
Also, once I figure out how to get the mail off of the nt4 box, which
debian/linux programs ought I to consider managing an Email address of
this magnitude -- and growing?

What do you think?

Paul Scott
2002-05-26 22:42:29 UTC
Post by Michael D. Schleif
Post by Michael D. Schleif
I have avoided this long enough!
I just built a new system -- woody -- and have kde and konqueror working
very well, thank you ;>
Now, I need to wean myself from the last vestiges of m$oft.
However, I have ~2 GB of netscape Email on this nt4 box, without which I
do not want to live . . .
What are my options?
Also, once I figure out how to get the mail off of the nt4 box,
Either network them or just move the NT4 hard drive temporarily to the
Linux box.

Paul Scott
Jeffrey Chimene
2002-05-27 01:02:35 UTC
Post by Jamin W. Collins
(many options to choose from here) and use either Netscape 4.x or
Mozilla
Post by Jamin W. Collins
to read them.
I got bit trying to move from an Exchange server .pst file. Something
about encryption, password protection, whatever the reason it's entirely
opaque. You might want to export some messages as an interoperability
trial.

--
microsoft free by 2003